Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Anchoring TV Sports


So I did my sports anchoring on Sunday and had a blast. I don’t have a copy of the video though, not yet. I hope to be able to add that to the web site soon. Just a photo of me doing the sports and of course I started out with the GreenJackets as my lead.

It was really fun and back in college I did some television work but never pursued it as a career. I thought it was too hard of an industry to crack into. So I went the radio route instead. I guess I didn't realize how hard it is to get any type of broadcasting job because the baseball route is like pulling teeth!

Who knows, maybe I can use this one time sportscast to move into television. All I needed to get into the baseball world of broadcasting was a half inning of play-by-play I did with the River City Rascals back home in 2000.

I was passed up for an opportunity doing softball on television earlier this year because apparently it is was because I had no video of me. The talent coordinator I guess thought I was an ugly guy and not good looking enough for television….I don’t think I am that bad.

I still have four weeks left in the season and then I have all off season to figure out what I want to do when I grow up. I am still young and still have my hair so I think there is some time, not much, but some time to figure it out.

I think the most important thing when getting any job or break in the business is knowing people. That transcends both radio and television along with time and space itself. If you don’t know someone somewhere, chances are you might not get that break.

I knew John Hart over at ABC and he thought about me when this thing came up. I keep telling him he needs to come on and do some baseball with me. See how the other half lives.

Thanks John and everyone over at ABC, it was fun and a real blast.

One thing I will say there is a lot of work that goes into getting it all ready. I did not have to do any of that though, I just sat down and read. Made it even easier for me. It is pretty tough though making sure what you are saying is matching up with the highlights. Looking at one television for the highlights while trying to keep pace with the script.

Good job to everyone that works in television, you make it all look easy.

Check back in a few weeks and maybe I can get a copy of it online for you all to see.

No comments: