Monday, January 4, 2010

New Year, Million Dollar Contracts


So now that the New Year is hear, I want to reflect on a few things. First off, how to say the year.

For the past 10 years I have put up with how people said the year, mentioning it in the thousands. For example, 2009 was said as two thousand and nine.

It is now 2010. Please stop saying it as two thousand and ten. It should be twenty-ten. It’s not a big deal; I just think too many people are saying it one way or the other. Let’s all get on the same page and call it twenty-ten. Enough of the two thousand!!

Matt Holliday. I am in no way attacking Matt Holliday or how athlete’s contracts are decided upon. However I just want to make one point as these athletes try to break the bank and get the most money they can.

How come they can not get a pay cut or be affected because of the recession as well.

There are millions of people in this country that have either A) lost their job, B) took a pay cut to keep there job, or C) accepted a job below their market value just to have a job.

How come this same philosophy doesn’t work in the sports world? How come it’s ok for these athletes and agents to go after $18 million contracts because $15 million just isn’t good enough?

Are you kidding me?

Take your $15 million contract and be happy because there are millions of people not working, on welfare or flat broke and living at a shelter because they can’t find work.

I understand you are a good athlete, but it’s a recession so take your recession contract.

Everyone else is suffering in this country, why should you be different; you are seriously bickering over $3 million?

There are lots of people in this country working for less than what they are worth just because they want to have a job. I would be more than happy to take a job that is well below what I think I am worth just for the opportunity to show I can do the job and so I can actually have a job and pay my bills.

That’s the difference though between myself and million dollar athletes. I am just looking to pay the bills from month to month. The athletes and their agents are looking to have multiple homes with lavish expenses and lots of cars, that’s why the difference in $3 million is so important.

Sign your contract already and stop fretting over the difference of $3 million. You’re contract is up in a recession, deal with it!

That’s my early January rant. Happy New Year everyone!!


No comments: