Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Food Poisoning At Christmas!

There are not many things in life that could be as uncomfortable as food poisoning. I got to experience that for the third time in my life on Monday night. It probably was by far the worst experience of the three times I had it.

It hit me pretty hard when I was driving home around 8:30pm. I had gone out to meet some friends for dinner at 7:00 p.m. and I already wasn’t feeling good at the restaurant, so all I had was a water.

I started to feel worse so I decided best to leave. As I was driving home I started sweating and shaking really bad. I had the chills and couldn’t get comfortable. Hoping I could just make home, I realized that was impossible and started hyperventilating as I exited the highway and went straight to the ER.

Within 20 minutes of walking in I was in really bad shape. My back and stomach were in pain, my hands and feet were stiff and I could not move them because of my fast breathing. I was dehydrating quickly and couldn’t get warm.

I was shaking and shivering uncontrollably and the nurse had thrown three blankets on me to try to get me to warm up.

Then it hit…when you are ready to throw up and throw up good your body gives you a little warning sending a message from the bottom of your stomach up through your throat and to your brain.

I sat up immediately, grabbed my pan and just as my folks walked in, everything came out.

It was a good one, one of the best I ever had. My stomach felt a heck of a lot better but I couldn’t stop shaking and shivering.

Three blankets and both my parents coats couldn’t keep me warm.

Finally with an I.V and fluids being pumped in me with a mix of meds, my heart rate started to slow and my breathing began to return to normal.

The color of my face went from white, to lime green then back to normal.

By 2:30 a.m. I was cleared to go home. I still fought the chills a bit the next day and finally, three days later I got my appetite back and started eating solid foods again.

So I know what you are asking, “how do you know it was food poisoning?” Well, the answer is because I only ate one thing that day and after I ate that one thing at 11:30 a.m. my stomach started to rumble a few hours later.

Over the course of the day it got worse and worse and finally around 8:30 p.m. I couldn’t take it anymore and I knew something was wrong.


I won’t name the place I ate at, just because I don’t want to get sued for defamation or anything like that. It will be a long time before I ever eat at that place again, if I ever do.





No comments: