Monday, April 13, 2009

Kalas Was One of the Greats

It’s a sad day in the sports world with the announcement that Phillies broadcaster Harry Kalas has passed away. This has been a rough start to the baseball season, first the tragic news of the Angles young 22 year old pitcher Nick Adenhart being killed in a hit and run traffic accident. Now 73 year old Kalas passes away.

Adenhart had a world and lifetime of baseball still to experience and was taken away at a much too early age after working six scoreless innings in a start for the Angels. Then on the other hand you have Kalas who experienced a lifetime of baseball and collapsed and died in the Phillies broadcast booth in a setting he had come to know and love.

Being from St. Louis I remember hearing Jack Buck always say how he wanted to go out while calling a game. Kalas came close.

While living in Wilmington, DE I had the pleasure of actually meeting Kalas while at a Phillies game. I know he never would remember me, however I will always remember the greeting I got from him.

I was in the press box and introduced myself to him. He politely shook my hand and we had a little small talk. I told him I spent a summer working for the Phillies Single-A team and we talked about a few players coming up. Then he asked me if I had everything I needed and I said yes and then we parted ways.

Only a brief meeting, but long enough to know he was a nice guy and didn’t brush off some young guy who was trying to make it in the world of broadcasting.

The baseball world is going to miss these two guys, one for what he could have been and one for all that he did.

Rest in peace Harry and Nick. Hopefully the baseball world doesn’t lose anymore this year.



No comments: